Thursday, September 13, 2007

Invitation to Carnival of Math Edition 2^(2^2)+1

While we're waiting for Part 2 of Prof. Steen's interview, please don't forget that MathNotations is hosting the seventeenth edition of the Carnival of Mathematics on 9-21!
I've already received 3 submissions and I'm hoping for many more. In addition, I have found at least one website of original math research I will be sharing with you. There may be some other surprises and even an exciting discovery in mathematics to share as well.

I'm considering dedicating this Carnival to a close friend of mine. I'll only give you his initials in lowercase: pdf
[You have only 30 seconds to solve the riddle!]

As I requested in Edition X and Kurt did in Edition XVI, I am asking math bloggers to submit one or two of their recent posts by either:
(1) Emailing me at dmarain at gmail dotcom (preferred!)
(2) Filling out the blog carnival form

If emailing, pls include the exact phrase Carnival of Math in the subject line and include the following:

(a) title of and permalink to your post
(b) name of your blog and link to home page
(c) an overview of the mathematical content, particularly if highly technical or advanced
(d) your general target audience (e.g., "This posting was designed for ...")

Don't forget that you can also recommend a couple of articles from some of your favorite math bloggers whose light might be hidden under a bushel and deserve recognition. I may do the same.

Since a carnival is supposed to be marked by merrymaking, let's have some fun with this! I'm not as creative as some other hosts, but I'll try to make it interesting.

Please try to send your submissions by Wed 9-19 so that I have the time to do justice to them - thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do parentheses change the value of the expression in your title? If they are omitted, what operation is performed first? Which leads to a bigger question: "How do we make people more aware of math syntax?"

Thank you for all the wonderful information on your blog. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

weirdly, no.
("weird" because, e.g.,
(3^3)^3 is much less than 3^(3^3)).

a^b^c is generally understood
to mean a^(b^c), since if one meant
(a^b)^c, one would write a^(bc).

how to ...?
lots of careful grading, alas.